Confession time…what do you eat when you are the only one home for dinner?
Many of my friends or clients will opt for something quick and easy like toast or a boiled egg, but forget that dinner is the time when you usually get to eat your vegetables…and they are very important as they help to keep you healthy!
Vegetables are your every day super foods! Just ask Jamie Oliver!!
This is one of my favourite meals which I cook when I am home alone and ticks all the boxes:
– you only use one dish (wok)
– it make enough for leftovers (it serves 3, so I cook once and get 3 meals out of it – 2 dinners and one lunch)
– it is quick and easy
– it includes loads of those super-foods…vegetables!
– and it tastes delicious!
- 140 grams (2 small bundles) udon noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 400 grams chicken mince
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 4 Swiss brown mushrooms, diced
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced
- ¼ cabbage (160 grams), sliced
- 160 grams green beans, topped and cut in half if long
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ tablespoons tamari or light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli jam or sweet chilli sauce
- ⅓ cup fresh basil leaves, sliced
- Boil a kettle full of water - transfer to a pot and cook the noodles for 4-5 minutes, or as per the back of the packet. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok over medium heat
- When hot, add oil, chicken mince, spring onions and mushrooms
- Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add zucchinis, cabbage and green beans and cook for 2 minutes
- Then add garlic, tamari, fish sauce and chilli jam or sweet chilli sauce and stir through
- Cook for 1-2 further minutes, then turn off heat under wok and quickly toss through basil
- Arrange noodles in the bottom of your bowl and top with chicken stir fry