Chicken, Barley and Vegetable Soup
This week I was invited to do a guest post on “The Scoop on Nutrition“, a fabulous website run by a very lovely and inspiring dietitian, Emma Sterling.
I chose to do a delicious, thick, hearty soup, perfect for the bitterly cold days and freezing evenings we have had lately in Sydney.
Please check out my full post (plus other great posts and interesting facts) at “The Scoop on Nutrition”
For those of you who have mentioned how you like my new recipe printing boxes, here is the recipe…
- 2 large brown onions (330 g), peeled and diced (or 1 onion and 1 leek)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large stalks celery (2 ½ cups), diced
- 4 medium carrots (3 ¾ cups), diced
- 2 cups diced pumpkin (approx. 300g)
- 1 kg (6) organic chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 cup (200 g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 litres chicken stock (I like Massels concentrated Chicken liquid stock)
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chives and/or coriander, chopped
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot add the onions and the oil and sautee for 5 minutes until the onions soften and start to brown on the edges.
- Add the celery, carrots and pumpkin and sautee for 2-3 minutes, then add chicken drumsticks and sautee for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add pearl barley, chicken stock and water and bring to the boil
- Place a lid on the pot, turn heat down and simmer for 60 minutes, until the barley is soft and the chicken starts to fall off the bones of the drumsticks
- Remove drumsticks from soup pot and set aside to cool
- When cold, strip the meat off the bones (removing any fat) and add back to the soup along with pepper
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required
- Just before serving stir through most of the fresh herbs, reserving a little to garnish each bowl.
(12 serves) 840kJ or 200 calories; P 18g Fat 7g SFat 1.8g CHO 14g Fibre 3.5g
[…] time 15 mins Cook time 70 mins Total time 1 hour 25 mins From: Healthy Home Cafe (very slightly edited) Serves: 10 […]
[…] Best Chicken And Barley from Chicken Barley and Ve able Soup. Source Image: healthyhomecafe.com. Visit this site for details: healthyhomecafe.com […]