There has been a heat wave in Australia for the past few days and there is no better time than when it’s hot to eat gelato!
How does gelato differ from ice-cream? Gelato typically has less fat than ice cream. Ice cream is normally heavy on the cream and has a fat content of at least 10%, whereas gelato uses more milk than cream, and generally also uses less egg yolks — if any.
We have the most amazing artisan gelato bar around the corner from us called Cow and the Moon. Their gelato is just delicious, but despite it being lighter than ice-cream, I still can’t eat it too often or I will end up the size of a house!
Whereas this gelato could be eaten almost every day…
It is simply frozen bananas, whizzed up in your food processor, or thermomix, to make a delicious, creamy gelato. I sometimes add a spoon of yoghurt, honey, tahini or lime juice and have even been known to add a splash of coffee for a bit of variety. Today I decided to add frozen raspberries, blueberries and a little jam.
Four ingredients and somewhere between two and four minutes in the Thermomix is all you need to make this refreshing gelato.
This is the easiest homemade gelato or ice-cream you will ever make, and without the need for expensive special ice-cream making machines (just a food processor, or thermomix if you are lucky enough to have one, like me! 🙂 )
This gelato is also my favourite quick dessert to serve for a dinner party. It can be whipped it up within minutes, and it tastes great topped with a little shaved chocolate for a bit of decadence!
Delicious, light, healthy, fuss free…and yummy!!
Mixed Berry Gelato
- 2 frozen bananas (120g each when peeled), sliced or broken into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) frozen raspberries
- 1 cup (150g) frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons 100% fruit berry jam (I used St Dalfour’s black currant fruit spread)
- 10g dark chocolate, shaved for garnish if serving as a dessert, optional
- Start by placing the frozen banana chunks into the food processor bowl and whizz for 1 -2 minutes (stopping the blender to wipe the sides down as needed), until smooth and creamy.
- Add frozen raspberries and blueberries and blend for 1-2 minutes (stopping to scrape down sides as needed) until the mix looks creamy, like this…
- Taste and add jam as needed.
- Blend again until all ingredients are well combined and the mixture is a lovely gelato texture.
- Scoop into 4 bowls or glasses. Top with the shaved chocolate if serving as dessert.
Per Serve (no chocolate): 527kJ or 125 calories; P 1.7g Fat 0.2g SFat 0g CHO 27g Fibre 4g