Quinoa, Kale, Feta and Mint Salad
What? A salad with both quinoa and kale. What else would you expect on a dietitian’s website!
But I haven’t included them because I believe they are ‘superfoods’
I’ve included them because I enjoy eating them
Or perhaps its the delicious dressing on this salad that I actually enjoy…and they just make a great transport medium!!
This is a lovely, light salad which is quick and easy to make
That’s right – just chuck everything into a bowl like this….
Toss together with the oh-so-tasty dressing and wholla…
This very adaptable salad is perfect for these hot summer days we are currently experiencing in Sydney
While it is deeelicious just as it is, you could add cucumber, radishes, avocado or pretty much any other lovely Summer veg you have hanging around in your fridge!
A tin of chickpeas would also make a great addition
Serve with chicken or fish or as we did, with these delicious mushroom and bean burgers – YUM! – recipe from my veggie-licious cookbook
So quick and easy – this is definitely a salad to include in your weeknight meals this week…..
- ½ cup (100 grams) quinoa
- ½ small bunch curly kale, leaves washed, dried and shredded finely
- ½ cup podded edamame, or peas
- ⅓ cup (80 grams) feta, crumbled
- 1 cup mint leaves, loosely packed
- 2-3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2-3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2-3 tablespoons pinenuts, toasted
- juice of 1 lemon (approx 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Start by rinsing the quinoa, then cook in boiling water for 12-15 minutes, or as per packet directions.
- Drain and set aside. Note - this can be done the day or even a few days ahead.
- To make the dressing, add lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, honey and salt to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake well to combine. Set aside. Note - this can also be done several days ahead and stored in fridge.
- Add cooled quinoa and kale to a large bowl. Pour over dressing and toss to combine.
- Add edamame, feta, roughly chopped mint leaves and most of the seeds and pinenuts - reserve a few for garnish. Toss well to combine.
- Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with reserved seeds and pinenuts.
- Note - leftovers keep well in the fridge for a few days!