I’ve been really inspired by Jamie Oliver’s new cooking show “Super-food Family Favourites” (despite hating the term super-foods and not liking his need to tell you how many calories are in each dish!)
So much so, that I had to try his Chicken Fajitas (pronounced fa-hi-tas!)
They were a huge hit!
But now comes the confession that I didn’t really stick to Jamie’s recipe
Here is what I did….
I marinated the chicken in extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, garlic, Mexican spice mix (details below recipe), oregano and cumin
Instead of putting the capsicum and eggplant over a flame and blackening them, I cut them up and sprinkled them with the Mexican spice mix (details below), oregano and cumin
To boost the veggies even more I added zucchini, red onion and broccoli
Mushrooms could also have been included
I cooked them on a grill pan, but they could also be cooked on the bbq to give them a delicious smokey flavour
I love meals like these where you prep everything, then plonk it in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves
They are also an easy meal if you have everyone eating at different times
The veggies can be served cold (or lukewarm), just cook or reheat the chicken as needed
These fajitas were so quick and easy, they would make a great weekday or weekend meal
Plus you can prep a lot of the fillings ahead of time
Give them a go. They are absolutely deeelicious!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 teaspoons Spice and Co Mexican spice mix (or more if you like it really spicy!)
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- juice of half a lime (approx 1 tablespoon)
- 1 large red onion
- 600 g skinless organic chicken thighs
- 1 large red capsicum, sliced 1 cm thick
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced on an angle
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- pinch of salt
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, washed and chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 punnet cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 baby cos, chopped and washed
- ½ cup tomato salsa
- 4-8 large wholemeal tortillas
- 50 g feta cheese, optional
- Put 1 tablespoon of oil into a bowl with the garlic, 1½ teaspoons of Mexican spice, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, ¾ teaspoon ground cumin, lime juice and black pepper.
- Halve and peel the onion, slice into 1cm-thick wedges.
- Slice the chicken lengthways 1cm thick and toss in the marinade along with about ¼ of the onion. Jamie suggests to leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight, I gave it about 15 mins!
- Slice all the veggies and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1½ teaspoons of Mexican spice, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, ¾ teaspoon ground cumin, a pinch of salt and some black pepper.
- Heat a grill pan (or your bbq) and cook veggies until golden brown.
- Once all the veggies are done, cook the chicken.
- Meanwhile, place the coriander in bowl and arrange the avocado, tomatoes and lettuce on a plate.
- Place the cooked chicken, cooked veg, salad, coriander, salsa, tortillas and feta in the middle of the table and let everyone help themselves to create their own fajitas
- Eat, savour, enjoy...
Pan fry black beans with olive oil, finely chopped onion, garlic, Mexican spice mix, oregano, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper until warmed through
This is the Mexican spice mix I used….
I got mine from Panetta Mercato, the lovely fruit and veggie store in Marrickville Metro
It is also available at Harris Farm Markets