Cauliflower “Fried Rice”
What a great and easy Meat free Monday meal. Really tasty and full of vegetables….
Cauliflowers are at their peak in July and the market was full of them, so I bought a few and wanted to try something new….
I had seen this idea on the internet, plus several clients mentioned making fried rice using cauliflower, so I had to try it for myself…
So glad I did. It’s yummy!
Here is my version…
- ½ head (500 grams) cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ leek, washed well and sliced
- 2 medium (140 grams) Portobello or Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced in half moons
- ⅙ red cabbage (250 grams), sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 2 eggs, whisked or firm tofu (300 grams), optional
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Cashews, optional
- Start by cutting the stalks from the cauliflower, then break the rest of the cauliflower into florets.
- Place the stalks in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the cauliflower florets to the bowl and process until chopped, but not too fine (this took 10 seconds on speed 4 in my thermomix). Set aside.
- Heat a wok over medium heat. When hot add some oil and the onion and leek.
- Stir fry for a few minutes until starting to soften.
- Add mushrooms to the wok and a little more oil if needed and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots, zucchini and cabbage and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add cauliflower to the wok and about a tablespoon of oil and stir fry for 4-5 minutes, then add garlic and tamari.
- Meanwhile, heat a separate fry pan over medium heat and add a little olive oil and the sesame oil.
- Add ½ an egg-shell of water to the eggs*, then pour into the frypan and cook like an omelette until browned on the base.
- Flip "omelette" over and cook for 1 minute before sliding out of the pan onto a plate or chopping board
- Roll up and slice.
- Mix ¾ cup coriander through the fried rice.
- Serve "fried rice" topped with slices of omelette and garnish with remaining coriander.
- *For a vegan option or for those who don't want egg, cook tofu in the olive oil and sesame oil until browned on the outside. Remove from pan, set aside, then quickly toast the cashews.
Fresh from the Garden
The season of bountiful produce has arrived. Whether your produce comes from the Farmers Market, a CSA share, or a plot of dirt out back, show how you are using fresh July fruits or veggies. And if you have gardening successes – or failures – please share!
I’ve made riced cauliflower and fried rice but never fried cauliflower rice! Love all the produce in this dish!
Thanks Jess 🙂