Stir Fried Vegies with Honey, Soy & Basil Tofu
It’s World Vegetarian Day today and the first day of Vegetarian awareness month
What better way to support such a worthwhile initiative than to make a delicious, quick and easy vegetarian stir fry
Vegetarian meals can be soooo tasty and this stir fry is a good example of a very tasty vegetarian meal that uses tofu as the protein source
I encourage you to try a few new vegetarian meals this month, starting with this delicious stir fry!
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 300g classic (or silken pressed) tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 3 Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large zucchini halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- ¼ cup Thai basil leaves (or regular basil or coriander), roughly chopped
- Pre-cooked noodles or rice, to serve
- In a small bowl, mix together cornflour, honey, tamari and water and set aside
- Heat wok over medium heat.
- When hot add half of the oil along with half of the tofu.
- Cook until tofu starts to brown on the outside, then remove from wok and repeat with the remaining tofu (but don't add any extra oil)
- Place empty wok back onto the stove.
- If needed, add a little extra oil to the wok along with the spring onion, cabbage and mushrooms.
- Stir fry for a few minutes, then remove to a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to the wok along with carrots, zucchini and broccoli and stir fry for 5 minutes, until they start to soften (you may need to add a little water if they start to stick).
- Add cabbage and mushrooms back to the wok along with the basil leaves and stir through, then place in serving bowls on top of noodles or rice.
- Add tofu back to the wok along with the sauce, stir through to coat and wait to thicken before removing and placing on top of the vegetables.
- Eat and enjoy!
Per Serve (vegies and tofu only): 1080kJ or 257 calories; P 14g Fat 12g SFat 1.5g CHO 16g Fibre 10g
If you want to know more about why you should include more vegetarian meals, see this post
Am trying this on the weekend yum! Alison
Fabulous! Let me know how you go 🙂
I will! Making it this week. Miss catching up with you, hope all going well xx
Ok I made this tonight. Very yummy, fresh tasting, lovely! I did have some trouble with the tofu. First time I have cooked it. It stuck to wok a lot. Am thinking maybe I should have a non stick wok? Mine isn’t non-stick. Any tips for having tofu not stick? Loved it. Thanks!