It’s World Vegetarian Day today and the first day of Vegetarian awareness month
What better way to support such a worthwhile initiative than to make a delicious, quick and easy vegetarian stir fry
Vegetarian meals can be soooo tasty and this stir fry is a good example of a very tasty vegetarian meal that uses tofu as the protein source
I encourage you to try a few new vegetarian meals this month, starting with this delicious stir fry!
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 300g classic (or silken pressed) tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced
- 3 Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large zucchini halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets
- ¼ cup Thai basil leaves (or regular basil or coriander), roughly chopped
- Pre-cooked noodles or rice, to serve
- In a small bowl, mix together cornflour, honey, tamari and water and set aside
- Heat wok over medium heat.
- When hot add half of the oil along with half of the tofu.
- Cook until tofu starts to brown on the outside, then remove from wok and repeat with the remaining tofu (but don't add any extra oil)
- Place empty wok back onto the stove.
- If needed, add a little extra oil to the wok along with the spring onion, cabbage and mushrooms.
- Stir fry for a few minutes, then remove to a bowl.
- Add remaining oil to the wok along with carrots, zucchini and broccoli and stir fry for 5 minutes, until they start to soften (you may need to add a little water if they start to stick).
- Add cabbage and mushrooms back to the wok along with the basil leaves and stir through, then place in serving bowls on top of noodles or rice.
- Add tofu back to the wok along with the sauce, stir through to coat and wait to thicken before removing and placing on top of the vegetables.
- Eat and enjoy!
Per Serve (vegies and tofu only): 1080kJ or 257 calories; P 14g Fat 12g SFat 1.5g CHO 16g Fibre 10g
If you want to know more about why you should include more vegetarian meals, see this post