My husband has been away for the past week so I have been revisiting all of my quick and easy meals for one and this is one of my absolute favourites…
These are all the ingredients you need to make a delicious, nourishing, filling meal for one in under 10 minutes…
Just chop up the vegies
Cook noodles first, then the carrot, zucchini and broccoli in the stock
Sautee the mushrooms
Then cook the salmon
That’s it – DONE!
This is a very tasty soup with all the requirements for a healthy balanced meal…
- A low GI carbohydrate – noodles
- A protein source, which is also a good source of essential omega 3 (healthy) fats – salmon
- AND lots and lots of vegetables (approx. 3 cups = 6 serves!)
All prepared quickly, without too much washing up, tastes delicious and is very filling and satisfying (to be honest, I couldn’t finish it all and took the leftovers as part of my lunch the next day!).
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 35g (1/2 bundle) udon noodles
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups approx. broccoli florets
- 6 small mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 150g salmon fillet, with skin on
- 1 tablespoon low salt soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, optional
- ½ long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, optional
- fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped, optional
- Place stock in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and hold at a gentle simmer.
- Add the noodles (place lid on pot to bring it back to the boil faster) and cook for 1-2 minutes or until just soft. Remove with tongs and put in serving bowl.
- Add the carrot, zucchini and broccoli to the stock and cook for 3 minutes, or until tender (again place the lid on as this will help to 'steam' the vegies as they all won't be submerged in the stock).
- When the vegetables are cooked, pour the stock over noodles in the serving bowl and top with cooked vegetables.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add a dash of oil.
- Quickly sautee mushrooms in the oil first, then remove and add to serving bowl.
- Place pan back on heat and when hot add salmon skin side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then flip over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes (length of time will depend on thickness of the salmon and how well you like it done).
- Place salmon on top of vegetables in serving bowl.
- Drizzle with soy sauce and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, chilli and coriander leaves, if using.
Note: Udon noodles are available in the Asian section of the supermarket or in Asian grocery stores
Feel free to vary vegies – for example, replace broccoli with kale, bok choy or any other Asian green vegetable
To flavour the stock more, add garlic and/or fresh ginger, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass and/or chilli jam
Fish – I have only ever used salmon or ocean trout with this dish, but I am sure it would also work well with any white fish. You could use chicken, you would just need to cook it a bit longer and it may be better served shredded into the soup. You could also use tofu – choose a firm pressed soft tofu and pan-fry with some garlic and sesame oil before drizzling with soy sauce.