Carrot cake, for breakfast???
Tuesday last week (March 4th) was Shrove Tuesday, better known here in Australia as Pancake Tuesday.
Shrove Tuesday precedes Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of Lent. It is celebrated by eating pancakes in Australia, but its traditions are about indulging in food that one sacrifices for the upcoming forty days, before commencing the fasting and religious obligations associated with Lent.
Since weekdays have a tight schedule in our household, there were no pancakes on Tuesday morning. Instead we decided to make them on the weekend when we had more time.
I had been wanting to try these pancakes for a while.
My husband’s favourite cake is carrot cake, so I was sure these would be a hit (and easier and faster to make!)
They were fabulous!
My husband LOVED them (so did I!) and we topped them with our new favourite Barambah yoghurt…
Now its your turn to eat cake for breakfast!!
- ½ cup your choice of milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or other vinegar or lemon juice)
- 1 large carrot (150g), grated (1½ cups approx.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
- 1 cup (140g) wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup (30g) whole rolled oats
- 1 egg (*see notes below for vegan option)
- ¼ cup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- raisins or walnuts, optional
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, to cook pancakes
- Barambah Organic Yoghurt (find it if you can, it really is that delicious!) or your other favourite yoghurt (try coconut yoghurt if vegan)
- pure maple syrup
- Start by adding the vinegar or lemon juice to the milk and set aside (this will curdle it, like using buttermilk or yoghurt)
- Grate carrot into a large bowl, add lemon or orange zest and stir through.
- Into the same large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and spices. Add oats.
- Into a small bowl whisk the egg. Add milk,
apple sauce, sugar and vanilla and whisk again to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and gently stir to combine.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat. When hot add about 1 teaspoon of oil and swirl around to cover
- Add large tablespoons of pancake mix to the pan, cooking around 4 at a time, and cook for 2-3 minutes on either side, until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and keep warm while you cook the rest of the mix.
- Serve topped with your favourite yoghurt and maple syrup.
- *vegan egg replacer: mix 1 tablespoon of ground linseeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix together, then set aside for 10 mins before adding to pancake batter.
Per Serve (pancake only): 377kJ or 90 calories; P 3g Fat 2.5g SFat 0.4g CHO 13g Fibre 2g
Note: If you like nuts or raisins in your carrot cake, feel free to add them as you cook the pancakes. I sprinkled (okay, evenly placed) raisins on a few of our pancakes, and I thought they were a great addition. My husband preferred them plain!