This is one of my all time favourite dishes as it is just delicious.
Chermoula is a paste used in Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian cooking. It is a tasty, fragrant blend of onions, fresh coriander, garlic, cumin, paprika, turmeric, lemon juice and olive oil. It is mainly used to marinade fish or seafood which is then grilled, pan-fried, cooked in a tagine or baked in the oven, but goes equally well with chicken or vegetables.
Chermoula can be prepared several days in advance or weeks ahead and frozen. The salmon can also be marinated for up to 2 days. This makes my chermoula salmon a perfect choice for a make-ahead dinner party menu, which is just what you need at this busy time of the year!
Chermoula Salmon with Mango Salsa
Serves 8 as a main (see notes below to use as part of a buffet)
- 8 x 160g atlantic salmon fillets, skin left on and pin bones removed
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, including roots, well washed, keep a few leaves for garnish
- 2 small red onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup (80ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ground white pepper
- Wash salmon and set aside on absorbent kitchen paper to dry.
- Start by making the chermoula paste. Place coriander roots and leaves in food processor bowl along with onions, garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, paprika and honey.
- Process until finely chopped.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil and pepper and process until well combined.
- Transfer salmon to a large bowl, tip chermoula paste on top and stir through to thoroughly coat the salmon. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, preheat oven to 160 degreesC (fan forced).
- Place salmon on a tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 14-16 minutes.
- Serve with mango salsa on the side.
Per Serve (salmon only): 1336kJ or 318 calories; P 30g Fat 19g SFat 3.5g CHO 6g Fibre <1g
To serve as part of a buffet: Allow 1 x 160g salmon fillet per 2 guests, but cut each fillet into 3 pieces each. Scale back amount of chermoula paste needed and freeze remaining portion either in one lump or in ice trays for easy use in the future. Bake smaller portions of salmon for 10 minutes only.
- 1 (400g) mango, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh coriander or mint
- Place mango, onion, tomato, lime juice and coriander or mint in a bowl. Stir gently to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Per Serve (mango salsa only): 143kJ or 34 calories; P <1g Fat & SFat 0g CHO 7g Fibre 1g
Chermoula paste adapted from bbcgoodfood