Next Sunday is Mothers Day so it seems only suitable that I should post a recipe for a cake that you can try out before you make it for your mum!
Valli Little has included 7 gorgeous sounding cakes in this month’s delicious magazine to help celebrate Mothers Day, including this one – raspberry chocolate and almond tea cake
Low Fat Raspberry, Chocolate and Almond Tea Cake
1 cup (125g) wholemeal plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
½ cup (60g) almond meal
½ cup castor sugar
60g soft butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (or dried cranberries)
1 1/3 cups (150g) frozen raspberries
1 large egg
1/3 cup low fat yoghurt
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla or ½ teaspoon almond essence
1/4 cup flaked almonds
Icing sugar, to serve
Low fat yoghurt, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170 °C
- Grease and line an 8 inch round cake tin
- Sift flour, bicarb soda and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir in the almond meal and sugar.
- Add butter and rub into flour mix, like you do for scones.
- Add the chocolate chips and frozen raspberries to the flour mixture.
- In another small bowl, whisk the egg then whisk in yoghurt, milk and vanilla or almond essence.
- Pour this into the flour mixture and mix until well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with low fat yoghurt