It’s that time of year when entertaining is in full swing.
The time of year when we need quick and easy but deliciously tasting food to serve our guests.
This dish certainly fits that bill!
I love French green lentils (which are grown here in Australia). And they are perfectly designed for salads like this…
They keep their shape so look great, soak up the dressing, provide a gorgeous texture and they help a salad to be more than just rabbit food – i.e. they make a salad more substantial and filling!
This is such a great recipe as it is super easy and incredibly adaptable
Use asparagus and replace the basil with dill
Or barbecued zucchinis with mint
Or roasted capsicum – but keep the basil
The options are endless!
You can also add baby spinach leaves, or rocket…
Just make sure you keep that gorgeous goats cheese though!
Most of the ingredients can be prepared ahead of time, and the salad thrown together just before needed
When entertaining, all of your dishes should be like this so you aren’t stuck in the kitchen all night!
Go on, give it a go
It will be your new favourite salad!
- ½ cup French green lentils
- 1 very small red onion (35 grams), very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 250 gram punnet grape or cherry tomatoes
- ½ bunch basil, leaves picked, choose smallest ones if you can
- 80 grams goats cheese
- Start by cooking the lentils - place lentils in a saucepan and cover generously with water.
- Bring to the boil, then turn heat down and simmer for 20 minutes (approx) or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the red onion in a medium bowl, pour over the vinegar and sprinkle a pinch of salt. Stir, then set aside to allow the onion to soften.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain well in a sieve and while still warm, add to the onion along with the olive oil, garlic and some black pepper.
- Stir to mix and leave to cool.
- Once cool, add the tomatoes and basil and gently mix together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- To serve, pile up the lentils on a large plate.
- Top with dollops of goats cheese. Serve and enjoy.