It’s Recipe Redux time again…
Every month RR provide a challenge for a blog post and this month is all about trying a new product. Since it’s been in my pantry for a while, I decided to try this corn cous cous. It was recommended to me by a client who is a Coeliac and can’t eat regular cous cous as it is made from wheat. This is made from corn so it is gluten free!
It’s been really hot and humid the past few days in Sydney so I wanted to make a salad that didn’t involve cooking anything. So I looked in my fridge and cupboard and pulled these together…
To make this…
But I felt it needed something else, so I added some feta…
Perfect! And rather delicious as well 🙂
I bought the corn cous cous in the supermarket on the shelves near the pasta. If you don’t have corn cous cous you could substitute with quinoa, barley or brown rice. This salad can be served as a meal as it contains all the components you need – protein (beans and feta), carbohydrate (cous cous) and vegetables – or as a side dish along with a small serving of fish, chicken or meat.
Please give it a go and let me know what you think…
- 1½ cups corn cous cous
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 x 400 gram tin of black beans
- ½ of a 480 gram jar of roasted capsicums
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- ¼ cup fresh mint, optional
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 handfuls rocket
- 50 grams feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Prepare cous cous according to directions on the packet. For the one I used I boiled 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Turn heat off then add ¾ teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1½ cups of corn cous cous. Mix well with a fork, then place the lid on the saucepan and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: Add oil, lemon juice and garlic to a jar with a well-fitting lid. Shake well, then set aside.
- Open the tin of beans and tip into a colander. Rinse under cool running water and set aside.
- Slice the roasted capsicums into medium sized squares.
- Wash the coriander, then finely chop along with the mint.
- Cut the avocado into squares.
- Time to mix it all together!
- Pour the dressing over the cous cous and stir through well.
- Transfer the cous cous to a serving bowl and add the coriander (reserve a little for garnish), mint, capsicum, avocado and rocket and mix gently to combine.
- Wipe the sides of the bowl and serve topped with crumbled feta and reserved coriander.