I’m not normally one for going along with trends, especially when it comes to food
So when I saw this month’s Recipe Redux theme I freaked a little….
“Plant Protein Power Bowls
Packed with protein, fibre and colour, plant power bowls are trendy and delicious. Show us the healthy recipe that’s in your bowl.”
But then I started to put one together and it actually was a lot of fun!
And given that I am a fan of people eating less meat and more plant based proteins, really, what’s not to love?
So I decided to make a ‘deconstructed’ burrito bowl, with a very loose Mexican theme!
And included the plant based protein sources:
- Black beans
- Edamame (young green soy beans, as seen in the photo above and below)
- Pinenuts (mixed through the barley)
Plus there is also some feta cheese (also protein, but included cause its yummy!)
And for all those who may be worried if there is ‘enough’ protein in this bowl…
YES! There definitely is!
Now don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients and instructions, this bowl was actually quite quick and easy to put together
I put the barley on to cook, and prepared the rest of the bowl components while it was cooking
If you fancy giving this a go, you can always use my bowl as a guide
Then adapt it depending on what you have on hand
You will be glad you did though as mine was very delicious
And do let me know if you do, and what you include in your version!
- ⅓ cup barley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 x 400g can black beans (or 1⅓ cups, 240g cooked)
- ½ cup chopped roasted capsicum
- ¼ cup feta cheese or vegan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ punnet grape tomatoes, halved if large
- ⅔ cup shelled edamame
- 2 small carrots, grated
- Kale Salad (see link below recipe)
- 1 small ripe avocado
- ½ small lime, juiced
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup tomato salsa
- Rinse well then place in a saucepan and cover generously with water
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 20-40 mins, or until soft
- Heat a frypan over medium heat
- When hot, add a drizzle of oil and mushrooms and sautee for 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Then add the beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Set aside
- Make kale salad
- Mash avocado together with lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- When the barley is cooked, drain well.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, then stir through roasted capsicum, feta and pinenuts. Set aside.
- To assemble:
- Divide the beans and the barley 'salad' between the 2 bowls
- Arrange other ingredients in the bowl
- Top with tomato salsa and guacamole
- Serve and enjoy
For a gluten free option, swap barley for quinoa (also a plant based protein food) or brown rice
You can swap black beans with red kidney beans
Click here for Kale Salad recipe
Now let’s see what all the other Recipe Reduxers have come up with…