Kale, Quinoa, Edamame and Avocado Salad
This is a most delicious salad which includes the superfoods kale and quinoa
Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense vegetables available. Studies show that it can guard against cancer, cataracts, macular degeneration, osteoporosis and age-related memory loss.
Quinoa, equally nutrient dense, is an excellent source of fibre, protein, magnesium, potassium and folate. It also guards against cancer as well as type 2 diabetes and heart disease
This salad also includes edamame which are little green soy beans. Available frozen in bags in the freezer section of most Asian grocery stores and now some supermarkets as well. They are very nutritious, only take a few minutes to cook and are also very delicious!
Avocado not only adds healthy mono-unsaturated fat, fibre and folate but also a delicious soft, creamy texture
And roasted red capsicum, rich in Vitamin C, folate, Vitamin B6, potassium and beta-carotene (precursor to Vitamin A), provides amazing colour and a pungent flavour which teams really well with all the other ingredients
This is a great Spring salad to accompany grilled fish or chicken, or can be eaten on its own as a light meal. Either way it is delicious…
Kale, Quinoa, Avocado and Edamame Salad
- ½ cup red or white quinoa
- ½ bunch kale, leaves removed from stems, washed well and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 roasted red capsicum, peeled and diced
- 1 large ripe avocado, diced
- Start by cooking the quinoa
- Boil for 10-15 minutes, until soft. Drain and set aside
- Meanwhile, finely chop the kale. The easiest way to do this is to take a few leaves, roll them together and slice thinly. Place in a large bowl.
- Into a small glass jar with a tight fitting lid, add the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
- Shake well to combine.
- Pour half of the dressing on the kale and massage into the leaves.
- Using a fork, fluff up the quinoa, then add the remaining dressing and stir through to coat.
- Add quinoa to kale along with the edamame, red capscium and avocado.
- Fold through gently to combine.
- Serve and enjoy
Per Serve 1311kJ or 312 calories; P 11g Fat 26g SFat 4.5g CHO 24g Fibre 6g