A most decadent breakfast that truly is healthy.
With lots of good, healthy fibres from the dates, wholemeal flour, oats, ground linseeds and banana to feed your gut flora!
You really should give these a go… And if you want more delicious healthy sweet recipes, why not come along to my Sweet Baking with Wholefoods Cooking Class on Saturday the 18th October. It is going to be amazing!
- ½ cup (70g) pitted dates, chopped
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon ground linseeds
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup wholemeal flour
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup whole rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 medium over-ripe banana
- 2-3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pure maple syrup, to drizzle
- Your favourite yoghurt* (pretend it's cream!)
- Walnuts or medjool dates, to serve
- Place dates in 3 tablespoons of boiling water in a small bowl and stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together ground linseeds and buttermilk and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Sift wholemeal and white flours, bicarb soda, cinnamon and ginger into a medium bowl, then stir in oats
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Add golden syrup, banana and linseed/buttermilk mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add this wet mix to the flour and oat bowl and mix well.
- Heat a medium sized frypan over medium heat and brush with a little oil.
- Add heaped tablespoons of mixture to the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles appear.
- Turn and cook the other side. Keep warm whilst cooking other pancakes.
- To serve, top with yoghurt and drizzle with a small amount of maple syrup.
- Top with walnuts or extra dates if desired.