Super Crunchy Seedy Biscuits
These came from a request for a not too sweet biscuit that could be included in a lunch box, which also meant it needed to be nut free
They are full of seeds which are nutritionally as powerful as nuts, with a base of oats and sweetened with maple syrup, a natural sweetener that is low GI. I also included goji berries* in mine, but you can use sultanas instead if you like.
When you make the mix it feels like it won’t hold together, but trust me, once baked it does!
These are delicious little biscuits with plenty of crunch. I encourage you to give them a go 🙂
- 2 tablespoons finely ground linseeds
- ¼ cup whole linseeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon macadamia oil
- ⅓ cup (80ml) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon wholemeal spelt flour
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons sultanas or dried goji berries*
- ¼ teaspoon bicarb soda
- Preheat oven to 180C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the ground and whole linseeds, chia seeds, oil, maple syrup and vanilla and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl mix together the oats, flour, sunflower seeds, sultanas or berries and bicarb soda.
- Tip oat mixture into maple syrup mixture and stir together with a spatula to combine.
- Using a soup spoon, dollop spoonfuls onto prepared tray, allowing plenty of room for them to spread.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until golden.
- Allow to cool before eating.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Per Biscuit: 331kJ or 78 calories; P 1.8g Fat 4g SFat 0.3g CHO 9g Fibre 2g
*Goji Berries (also known as wolfberries) – It is questionable now whether they are actually a ‘super-food’ and live up to all the miraculous claims of potential health benefits, however they are a berry and all berries are healthy so it is worth your while including them in your intake. Goji berries can be found in Asian supermarkets at a fraction of the cost of those sold in health food stores!
I love all your muffins! So tasty & not full of fat or sugar. Was wondering could you post a healthy choc chip muffin recipe? Thanks
Thanks for your feedback and request. I will do my best to devise a delicious choc chip muffin recipe for you.
Just give me a couple of weeks to do so!