A client recently asked me for some savoury weekend breakfast ideas. My answer was not so easy as I had to consider the following – she is a Coeliac (auto-immune condition where she cannot eat gluten), she is limiting dairy due to sinus issues, needs a high fibre diet to prevent constipation, her husband has a nut allergy and her youngest son is highly allergic to eggs! (food sensitivities do tend to run in families) Thus this recipe was born.
Both zucchini and corn are in season right now and corn has been especially good this year. Basil goes really well with both and we just happened to have a large amount growing in our back yard.
For the fritters I replaced eggs with ground linseeds and water and used besan (chickpea) flour, which as well as being gluten free is low GI and high in fibre. They are not a light fluffy fritter, but they are delicious.
We topped them with a lovely tomato and capsicum relish I had made earlier this year and served some lovely spicy rocket on the side. I have included in the recipe many other topping ideas to try which would also be scrumptious…
- 1 corn cob, with outside husk still attached (or ¾ cup frozen corn kernels)
- 1½ tablespoons ground linseeds
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup soy milk
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium (125g) zucchini
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, shredded
- ½ cup besan (chickpea) flour - available from Middle Eastern Shops or Health Food Stores (or use wholemeal self raising flour if not needing to be gluten free)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Topping suggestions: Tomato or Tomato and Capsicum Relish; Guacamole; Avocado, Tomato and Coriander Salsa; Baba Ganoush; (if not dairy free) Tzatziki; Mushrooms sautéed in lots of garlic OR for a non vegan/vegetarian version Smoked Salmon, Greek Yoghurt and Horseradish
- Start by rinsing the corn, keeping the husk on, then placing in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together ground linseeds and water and set aside to thicken.
- Add apple cider vinegar to soy milk and set aside.
- Grate zucchini and add to a medium sized bowl.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the husk from the corn. Cut the kernels off the cob and add to the bowl with the zucchini along with the basil, linseed mix, soy milk, besan flour and salt.
- Mix to combine.
- Heat a large frypan over medium heat.
- When hot, add some oil and swirl around to coat base.
- Using a soup spoon, place heaped spoonfuls into the frypan and cook until browned on each side (3-4 minutes).
- Remove, place on paper towel and repeat with remaining mix.
- Serve warm with your choice of topping.
Note: Best eaten on the day they are made. Reheat any leftovers in microwave for approx. 30 seconds each