Eggplants have been plentiful and reasonably priced at Alfalfa House lately
And I love them
Then there was the dilemna of what to make…
A smoky baba ganoush? Eggplant and Adzuki Bean Burgers (from Veggie-licious)?
Or my fabulous Baked Eggplant with Chickpeas and Green Chilli?
I was more swayed by what else I had in the cupboard and fridge….
And this was born…
This eggplant bake is seriously so easy even your kids could make it!
Start by slicing the eggplant
Brush with oil and bake, then transfer to a baking dish
Pour a good pasta sauce over the top
Smother with cheese – both ricotta and feta
Then bake until the cheese goes golden
Top with pesto and olives and wholla….its time to tuck in!
While this dish may take a while to cook, you don’t have to do much
Just make a quick salad and enjoy
As it is VERY tasty 🙂
- 1 large or 2 medium eggplants, approx 600 grams, sliced into 5mm rounds
- extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ of a 500 gram jar pasta sauce
- 200 grams ricotta
- 100 grams feta, crumbled
- black olives
- Heat oven to 180˚C.
- Place eggplant slices on baking tray and brush with oil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Then turn over and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked eggplant to a baking dish and increase the oven temperature to 200˚C.
- Cover eggplant with pasta sauce, then dollop with ricotta and sprinkle with crumbled feta .
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top with dollops of pesto and black olives.
- Serve with veggies or salad
And if you have any hanging around, you could sprinkle with toasted pinenuts….YUM!!