It’s been a while between posts
I’ve been so busy, excited and very distracted with the launch of my veggie-licious cookbook
But I’m back with a most deeeelicious salad for you to try….
I just LOVE barley. It is one of my favourite grains to use
Especially in salads
Its incredibly low GI, very filling, I love the texture, plus it has a lovely almost nutty flavour
And a little goes a long way!
This is one of those recipes that can be done in parts, and thrown together when you are ready to eat
Use whatever veggies you like – I had carrots and beetroot on hand, but pumpkin, red onion and red capsicum would work well too
Just don’t skimp on the delicious tahini dressing, or the delicious crunchy seeds
This salad has a lovely combination of tastes and textures
And keeps well for a few days
I hope you try it as it is……YUM!
- 6 medium carrots
- 2 medium beetroot, scrubbed well
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup pearl barley
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup tahini
- 400 gram tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed; or 1⅓ cups cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 100 grams baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, optional
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C and cover 2 oven trays with greaseproof paper.
- Slice carrots in half lengthways. Place in bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add a little salt and pepper and toss well.
- Spread evenly over one of the prepared oven trays.
- Cut beetroots into wedges. Place in bowl, drizzle with olive oil, add a little salt and pepper and toss well.
- Spread evenly over the other prepared oven tray..
- Bake carrots and beetroot for approx 40 mins or until browned and softened
- Place barley in a saucepan and cover with plenty of water
- Cover saucepan with a lid and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for approximately 25–40 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile make the dressings:
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons oil and crushed garlic to a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well. Set aside.
- Mix tahini with ¼ cup lemon juice and 2-3 tablespoons of water, You want it to be a gloopy texture, not too thick or too runny.
- Place the cooked barley in a large mixing bowl along with the chickpeas and pour over the lemon juice dressing. Add half the coriander, and toss gently to combine.
- Add carrots and beetroot and stir through.
- Spread spinach leaves over the base of a serving platter.
- Top with barley salad, then dollop with tahini dressing.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and remaining coriander just before serving.