The weather has been quite variable in Sydney over the past few weeks. But a definite chill in the air yesterday afternoon inspired me to whip up this quick and yummy soup for dinner last night
Well that and the fact that I had a large amount of broccoli in the fridge!
A tin of cannelini beans added some extra protein and fibre to this soup and also helped to thicken it slightly. Parmesan (actually most cheese in general) teams really well with broccoli and the squeeze of lemon somehow ‘lightens’ the soup and enhances the flavour…
Gotta give it a go!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 400 gram tin cannelini or butter (lima) beans
- 1 litre (4 cups) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 kg broccoli, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan, freshly grated or peeled
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add the olive oil and onion and sautee for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and starting to brown.
- Add a little water if the onion starts to stick.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the cannellini beans and stir well.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock and bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add the broccoli and cook for 5 minutes.
- Carefully puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Return soup to the pot, taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley and a lemon wedge on the side.
- Squeeze lemon over soup just before eating.
- Serve with big chunks of sourdough toast