Pardon the pun, but you are going to go nuts over these. I did!
I love nuts, all nuts, they are my go-to snack most days.
They are delicious, filling and so incredibly nutritious.
Many people think eating nuts can help you gain weight, but there is lots of research showing they don’t (and I haven’t experienced weight gain from eating them!!) In fact research shows they can help with controlling weight!
This Thursday, the 22nd October is National Nut Day in America, so my recipe redux challenge this month was to make something nutty….what a great challenge 🙂
I think I succeeded!
This slice has LOTS of nuts, plus a few seeds, and is held together with peaNUT butter, plus some honey…
So incredibly delicious!
These bars make a yummy and filling snack, but a warning, it is hard to stop at just one…
Eat slowly and very mindfully!
- ½ cup (60 grams) walnuts
- ½ cup (70 grams) macadamias
- ½ cup (70 grams) pecans
- ½ cup (70 grams) cashews
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon ground linseeds
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I used crunchy, but smooth works as well)
- Heat oven to 150 degrees and line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, combine walnuts, macadamias, pecans, cashews, sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds. Stir.
- Pour nuts and seeds onto prepared tray and bake in oven for 20 mins, stirring occasionally, or until they start to brown.
- Line a 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin with foil and set aside.
- When toasted, remove nuts from oven and turn it off. Transfer nuts and seeds back into the large bowl. Stir in the ground linseeds.
- Combine honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan.
- Heat on the stove over medium heat until mix just starts to form bubbles around the edge.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, until the mix starts to thicken slightly.
- Pour hot honey mix into nut mix and stir quickly to combine.
- Tip into prepared tray and press down evenly.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes, until cooler but not completely set.
- Remove foil-lined slice from tray and cut into 4 x 4 = 16 slices.
- Place back in tray and allow to cool completely before serving.
You can use sunflower seeds in place of (or together with) pumpkin seeds (I like the green from the pumpkin seeds!)
Tahini may be used in place of peanut butter. Maple syrup may be used in place of honey