Lemon Yoghurt and Semolina Cake
I would describe myself as more of a savoury person, however when it comes to dessert, I do tend to favour anything lemon-flavoured
Especially when it is really tangy, which this cake is….
I recently saw a recipe for a lovely lemon cake on the Chobani facebook page which used their lemon yoghurt. It inspired me to try making a healthier version using oil in place of butter and honey in place of sugar. Just for something a little different, I decided to use a mix of ground nuts, semolina, coconut and psyllium husks in place of flour.
As luck had it I just happened to have a little pot of their lemon yoghurt in the fridge!
I made a ‘syrup’ using lemon juice and a small amount of honey which you pour over the top while it is still warm…
It was delicious….
- 1½ cups (180 g) ground almonds
- 1 cup (200g) semolina
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons psyllium husks
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large or 4 medium organic or free range eggs
- ¼ cup (50ml) macadamia nut oil
- ⅓ cup (120 g) honey, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 170 grams Chobani lemon yoghurt or Greek yoghurt
- zest from 3 lemons, or more depending on how tangy you want it
- ¾ cup lemon juice (approx. 3 lemons)
- yoghurt and pomegranate seeds to serve, optional
- Preheat your oven to 165 degrees C. Grease and line the base of a 9 inch round cake tin
- In a large bowl, combine ground almonds, semolina, coconut, psyllium husks and baking powder
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk eggs, then add oil, ⅓ cup honey, yoghurt and lemon zest and whisk until well combined
- Pour yoghurt mixture into semolina mix and stir through until just combined
- Spoon into cake tin and smooth top
- Bake for approx 30 minutes or until golden on top and cooked through
- Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes before transferring to serving plate
- For the syrup: combine lemon juice and extra tablespoon of honey and stir until honey dissolves
- Pour syrup over hot cake
- Decorate top of cake with pomegranate seeds and serve with your favourite yoghurt