And it seems like more of our friends than ever are cutting down on how much meat they eat
That is without my influence too!
So at a recent gathering I put together these rolls as a replacement for sausage rolls
And they worked out spectacularly well
So I decided to share them with you
I hope you and your friends enjoy them as much as we did
Happy Christmas 🙂
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for pastry
- 1 medium-large red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon curry powder
- Handful of spinach leaves, approx. 50 grams
- 1 medium carrot (2/3 cup approx, 130 grams), grated
- 1 medium zucchini (2/3 cup approx, 100 grams), grated
- 400 gram can lentils, drained and rinsed (or 1⅓ cups cooked lentils)
- 1 egg (or vegan egg replacer*)
- ½ cup grated tasty cheese (use vegan cheese for vegan option)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, optional
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- finely ground black pepper
- 9 sheets fresh (not frozen) filo pastry
- sesame seeds
- Heat a medium sized frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add some oil and the onion, cook for a few minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add garlic, curry powder and cook for about a minute before adding the spinach leaves, carrot, zucchini and lentils and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until veggies have softened slightly.
- Turn oven on to heat up to 200 degrees C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place lentil mixture, egg, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Unwrap filo and lay one sheet on a flat surface. Brush with olive oil and top with one sheet of filo. Repeat so you have 3 sheets stacked together.
- Spoon a third of the mixture along the long edge, leaving about a 5 cm border on the edge closest to you..
- Roll pastry over lentil mix, keep rolling until almost complete, then brush the edge with some olive oil so that it sticks.
- Brush top of roll with olive oil and cut into 8 pieces. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place on prepared tray.
- Repeat with remaining mixture to make approx. 24 rolls.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Allow to cool a little before eating.
- *vegan egg replacer - mix together 1 tablespoon ground linseeds with 3 tablespoons water. set aside for 5 mins before using.