Spinach, Green Bean and Walnut Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
‘Tis the season for salads….
When time poor (which has been happening a bit lately), this is one of my favourite go-to salads.
It’s easy, delicious and takes only 5 minutes to make
One of the concepts I like to teach in my cooking classes is that when using good quality ingredients, you don’t have to do much to have them taste amazing. And this salad examples that
It also examples my food philosophies – fresh, whole, organic, seasonal, locally grown or produced (veggies from Alfalfa House who only buy from local farmers, walnuts from Tasmania (not California!), the raspberry vinegar is from the Southern Highlands and olive oil from the Hunter Valley), lots of variety and mostly plant based!
Due to how quick, easy and delicious it is, this is a great salad to include in your Christmas entertaining
Or to help you get your serves of veg in during this busy time
Ah, as so often in life, the simple things are often the best!
- 250 g green beans, tops only removed
- 150 g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Cuttaway Creek raspberry wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed, optional
- Salt, optional
- Crushed black pepper, optional
- ½ cup (50 g) fresh walnuts*, whole and broken
- Start by steaming the beans for 2-3 minutes or until they turn bright green, or boil them in water.
- Drain in colander and quickly rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside to drain.
- Place spinach on a large serving dish and spread the beans evenly on top.
- To make the dressing: combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well to combine, then pour over the salad and toss to coat all ingredients.
- Sprinkle salad with the walnuts and serve.
And to keep your nuts fresh, store them in the fridge. Especially during warmer weather!
By the way, do you top and tail your beans before cooking them?
There is no need to remove those cute little tails – so just top them from now on!!