Last weekend I hosted the ‘Make your own Gingerbread House Cooking Class’ which was a lot of fun
I provided a light lunch during the class and this is one of the salads I made. It is one of my favorite, really quick and easy salads to make when you are time poor as it only takes about 5 minutes to prepare. Most of the ingredients store well in your cupboard (lentils, baby beetroot, balsamic vinegar) or fridge (feta cheese and at this time of year I often store my olive oil in the fridge too) so you should always have them on hand. Then just grab some fresh rocket or spinach leaves when you want to make it.
This is a great salad to try this weekend – or make it to go if you have to take a plate to a Christmas party or barbecue. It travels really well! This salad will serve between 4-8 as a side or 2 as a light meal…and it’s just delicious 🙂
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin lentils, drained and rinsed
- 150g rocket and/or baby spinach leaves
- 1 x 425g tin baby beetroot, drained
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- ⅓ cup walnuts, either raw or toasted and broken
- pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then add the drained lentils and mix to coat. Set aside.
- On a large platter, arrange the rocket and/or spinach leaves and drained beetroot.
- Spoon the lentils evenly over the salad and drizzle with any extra dressing.
- Crumble the feta over and lastly sprinkle with the walnuts
- Add pepper to taste