Mini Raspberry and Chocolate Chip Muffins
Aren’t these cute 🙂
They are very easy to make and taste delicious too!
I recently had a request from one of my followers for a healthy chocolate chip muffin.
Most muffins really are just like cake, made with butter (or worse, margarine), lots of sugar and highly refined white flour. They are not healthy at all!
So what makes these muffins healthier?
First, I used macadamia oil (a source of healthy mono-unsaturated fat which is used by the body) in place of butter (saturated fat which is converted into cholesterol and stored), added apple sauce (just pureed cooked apple, full of vitamins, minerals and fibre, polyphenols (antioxidants) and the phytonutrient flavonoid quercetin) to cut down the amount of oil and sugar required and used 1/2 wholemeal flour to increase the fibre, vitamin and mineral content (if you use all wholemeal the muffins can end up being quite heavy).
I also added raspberries which are also a source of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants (in fact berries are the best fruit to protect you against cancer). Raspberries are also a source of melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone secreted at night to help regulate our circadian rhythms and help us go to sleep (so if you have trouble sleeping, you may like to try eating raspberries before going to bed!!)
These muffins are light, moist, yummy and just the perfect size for a healthier snack. I hope you like them Lee 🙂
- ½ cup wholemeal plain flour
- ½ cup soft white plain flour (soft flour is lower in gluten so makes softer textured cakes and muffins)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips or roughly chopped chocolate
- 1 x 60g free range or organic egg
- 1½ tablespoons macadamia oil (see note below)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ¼ cup low fat yoghurt
- 1½ tablespoons low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla essence
- Heat oven to 170 degrees. Line mini muffin trays with 20 paper cups
- Into a large bowl, sift together the wholemeal flour, white flour and baking powder
- Stir through frozen raspberries and chocolate chips and set aside
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg, then whisk in oil, sugar, apple sauce, yoghurt, milk and vanilla essence
- Pour egg mixture into the flour mixture and with a large spoon, gently fold in until just combined
- Using a large teaspoon, spoon mixture into muffin cups
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the muffins spring back when lightly pressed
Note: My favourite macadamia oil is Brookfarm Cold Pressed Premium Grade Macadamia Oil
Per Serve: 276 kJ or 66 calories; P 1.5g Fat 2g SFat 0.6g CHO 9.5g Fibre 0.9g
OMG!!! I love them! Thanks so much for posting this recipe Caroline. I made two batches this morning
Yeah! So glad you like, I mean love them 🙂