Years ago a friend who wanted to lose went to Weight Watchers. The first day she was supposed to start she dropped her kids off at school and another school mum suggested they go for coffee. Off they went to the coffee shop and her friend decided to have a slice of cheesecake with her coffee. My friend, clearly aware she was supposed to be following WW followed suit and also ordered a slice of cheesecake. When she got home and looked it up, that cheesecake was 18 points out of her allocated 20 points for the day. Given that her coffee was also one point, she only had one point left for the day, so she ate only steamed broccoli (which I think is actually point-free!).
The moral of this story is that cheesecake is usually very high in fat and sugar, thus very calorie dense. Allow me to introduce a scrumptious alternative.
This baked cheesecake is so quick and easy to make, tastes delicious and is low in fat and sugar (and calories).
It is great on its own, simply sprinkled with cinnamon or served with yoghurt and berries for a delicious dinner party style dessert.
Ricotta & Honey Baked Cheesecake
- 600 g ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (100 ml) honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon gluten free corn flour
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla essence
- Preheat your oven to 170 deg C. Grease and line a 22cm cake tin (use a springform cake tine if you have one).
- Place ricotta, honey, eggs, cornflour and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds, until smooth
- Pour into prepared cake tin, smooth the top and cook for 45 mins until the top has browned and the centre doesn’t wobble.
- Allow it to cool in the cake tin completely.
- Serve with poached fruit, berry compote or blueberry chia jam and 5am yoghurt
Per Serve (cheesecake only): 543kJ or 129 calories; P 8.5g Fat 7g SFat 4g CHO 9g Fibre 0g