…I have ever made!
We recently renovated our kitchen and I was lucky enough to include a Gaggenau Steam Oven. Yes they are expensive, but as they say, and it is very true with this oven, you get what you pay for!
Every year I make these hot cross buns, which I do in my Thermomix using the recipe from the book that comes with the Thermomix.
They are dead easy (thanks to the Thermomix) – but this year, being able to both prove and cook them in my Gaggenau steam oven meant that they proved much more effectively – and they were amazing!
The process when using a steamer oven is…
First make the dough. Prove it in the oven at 38 degrees, 30% humidity for 1 hour – the dough should at least double in size.
Then knock the dough back, shape the buns, place on baking tray, apply crosses and prove them in the oven again (same temp etc) for 15-20 minutes.
After they have proved for the second time, without taking them out, you simply turn the temperature of the oven up to 190 degrees (still 30% humidity) and in 20 minutes they are done!
Mmmmm! Spicy, light and fluffy and great just as they are….
but my husband insists on smothering them with butter!!
- zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 250 g milk
- 250 g wholemeal bakers flour
- 250 g white bakers flour
- 1 tablespoon ground linseeds
- pinch of salt
- 70 g butter
- 45 g brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 15 g dry yeast
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 120 g sultanas
- 90g dried cranberries
- crosses: 20 g plain flour, ¼ teaspoon oil, 25 g water
- Zest orange and lemon directly into Thermomix bowl
- Weigh milk into bowl and cook 50 seconds at 90C on speed 1
- Weigh remaining ingredients directly into bowl, excluding sultanas and cranberries and mix for 6 seconds on speed 7.
- Set dial to closed lid position and knead for 3 minutes on Interval setting.
- Add sultanas and mix 10 seconds on speed 5
- Remove dough to large bowl and place in a warm place for 1 - 1½ hours. Dough should double in size.
- Shape into dinner roll size buns (Makes 12 x 96g buns).
- Place on paper lined baking tray.Let prove for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Pipe with crosses (mix 20 g plain flour, ¼ teaspoon oil, 25 g water).
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Brush with hot sugar syrup while still warm. (1 tablespoon sugar and 1 tablespoon water - cook in microwave for 1 minute).
- Note: although I added more fruit than the recipe suggests, I like quite a lot of fruit in my buns, so next time I would add another 50g or so - perhaps 25g each of dried apricots and dried figs 🙂
As they are each bun has 1210kJ or 288 Calories (without butter!) and 4.5g of fibre!