What Kind of Eater are You?
Here’s a fun quiz that can help you to start thinking about HOW you eat
Grab a pen and paper (bit old fashioned – I know) to record your answers
For each question, choose the number that sounds most like you
Don’t worry – you don’t have to do any addition at the end!
a. How quickly do you finish a meal?
- As quickly as I can! No time to wait when there is food on my plate!
- Neither quick, nor slow – sort of an average pace
- Suuuupperrrr sloooowwww! I like to savour every bite!
- It depends! What am I eating? Who am I with? Where am I? What else am I doing? How long is my lunch break? How hungry am I? There is no simple answer for this one!
b. How often do you think about food?
- The better question would be how often DON’T I think about food! It’s always on my mind!
- Quite often – it’s the most exciting part of my day!
- Only when I’m hungry
- Some days I am too busy to think about food but some days I just can’t seem to get chocolate off my mind!
c. Do you eat-and-type?
- Always! There are crumbs living in my keyboard
- Occasionally I’ll have a snack while I’m working on my laptop, but not everyday
- Never – I keep my work life and my food life separate
- Only when I’m too busy to step away from my computer for meals
d. If “junk food” played a character in the movie of your life, what would it be?
- The joint-at-the-hip fake best friend who gives terrible life advice and ultimately ends up making things worse
- That bad influence friend – you don’t see them everyday but when you do, you know you will do things you’ll regret
- The life long friend who you only see occasionally and you always enjoy every moment!
- That old frenemy. Most of the time when you see each other you can keep things civil but every now and then he/she causes some drama
e. How does stress or anxiety affect your appetite?
- Either ramps it up to full power or shuts it down completely
- Sometimes causes me to crave sweet foods
- No effect at all – I try to focus on the cause of the problem and deal with that
- Hard to say – sometimes a bit of chocolate will help relieve stress but sometimes I’m just too stressed to think about food at all!
f. What is a typical mealtime situation like for you?
- Desperately awaited but over in less than 5 minutes!
- Usually sitting down, chatting with friends or family but sometimes in front of the TV or on my phone
- Always a distraction-free zone – It’s all about the food!
- Sometimes rushed and hectic, sometimes slow and enjoyable
g. When is the meal over for you?
- When I’m full to the brim
- When I’ve finished everything on my plate
- When I’m no longer hungry
- Depends on how busy my day is – either until I’m full or until I have finished all my food
h. How do you feel after a meal?
- Sad – it’s the longest possible time before the next meal!
- Usually satisfied but I always crave something sweet afterwards
- Re-energised and ready to get on with the day
- If I eat with a friend or family – satisfied. If I eat in front of my computer while fussing about work – not so satisfied
i. How many times a day do you eat?
- I’m never really NOT eating – I’ve usually always got something to nibble on
- Usually 3 main meals and 1 or 2 snacks – but sometimes I’ll have a few extra snacks if I’m tempted
- Usually 3 main meals and a snack or two – more if I’m hungry and less if I’m not
- Anything from just 1 super size meal at the end of the day to a constant flow of snacks throughout the entire day
j. Do you try to restrict how much you eat to help manage or lose weight?
- Pretty much every day but it never works – I always end up binging on junk
- Sometimes but hunger always gets the better of me
- Not really – I trust my body to let me know how much food I need
- I go through periods when I’m not so happy with my body and will try to cut back but that never lasts long
Check your score
Mostly 1’s – WOW! Thank you for your honesty. It’s like we were thinking of YOU while we were writing this program. Thank goodness we found each other! We have lots of fun work to do together and we really hope you check in every day to get the most out of this series….
Mostly 2’s – While you are pretty in tune with your hunger and aware of your behaviour around food, which is great, you are sure to get some useful tips over the next 9 days.
Mostly 3’s – Lucky you, looks like you already are an aware eater. While you may not experience as many epiphanies as others, we do hope you stick with us, come along for the ride and enjoy what we have in stall for you. Who knows, you may just get one or two pointers that make you raise your eyebrows!
Mostly 4’s – It seems like your busy life has a strong impact on your relationship with food. Your awareness of food and what you are eating waxes and wanes depending on what is going on in your life. We hope that the next 9 days can help you to tune in with your body needs throughout all the craziness!