Lemon Poppyseed Cake with Yoghurt Glaze
Sometimes you’ve just got to eat cake
Especially when it tastes as good as this…
When it comes to sweet things, I can’t go past anything lemon flavoured
Especially when its so tangy and zesty it’s almost bitter-lemon
Lemon is also the favourite flavour of a good friend of mine whose birthday it is this month
So I made this cake for her
Plus it was a great excuse to try out a recipe I had bookmarked several months ago
This cake originally came from bon appetit, but I have adapted it by reducing the sugar (which I think could be reduced slightly more still) and swapped grapefruit for lemon
Plus I made the yummy yoghurt glaze a bit healthier and frankly yummier and easier to make!
To quote bon appetit (sort of)…
This is a perfect anytime loaf cake with a zesty lemon flavor, made with oil so it keeps a long time and stays moist
- 1 cup plain flour
- ½ cup wholemeal plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- ⅔ cup raw sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ cup macadamia or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 heaped teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a loaf pan with grease-proof paper.
- Sift flours and baking powder into a medium bowl. Stir in poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed until light and thick, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly pour oil into the bowl while still whisking, then turn mixer off.
- Fold in half of the flour, half the yoghurt and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into the egg mix.
- Then fold in the rest of the flour and yoghurt along with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake cake until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, approx 50 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in top of cake and pour remaining 3 tablespoons of lemon juice over the top.
- Allow to cool before removing from cake tin.
- To glaze cake: Mix together yoghurt and honey and drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and serve.
adapted from this recipe
and made with two of these eggs from our ducks 🙂