Ever have those nights when you don’t really feel like cooking, so you need something quick and easy for dinner?
A 10-minute meal that doesn’t take too much effort…well this is a great one!
You just throw a whole lot of vegies in a pot and simmer slowly while you make a quick prawn stock out of the heads, add that and wholla….done!
Top with a whole lot of fresh herbs and you have this delicious, very tasty and satisfying soup.
There are no noodles or other carbs in this recipe because if you eat carbs after 6pm they….NO THEY DON’T!!!
Don’t believe that rubbish! If you don’t eat carbs at dinner you will get hungry later and raid the chocolate!
There’s no carbs because, well…
1. I couldn’t be bothered adding any, and
2. I had a most delicious selection of seasonal fruit including mango lined up for my dessert after! Yum and carbs sorted!
Love it…quick, easy, delicious – this soup ticks all the boxes 🙂
Oh, and feel free to add noodles if you want!
- 10 large prawns
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ large red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- ½ stalk lemongrass, sliced lengthways
- 10 gram knob of fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, roughly torn
- 50 grams mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 large handfuls (50 grams approx.) baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 6-8 leaves of Vietnamese mint
- ½ lime, cut into wedges
- Start by removing the heads from the prawns, wash well, then place in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil and cook for 7 minutes. Put the prawn 'tails' aside.
- Meanwhile, place chicken stock in a large saucepan along with 2 cups water and add the chilli, lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, mushrooms, zucchini, carrot, tomatoes,tamari and fish sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- By this time the prawn 'stock' should be done, so strain off prawn heads and add the stock to the rest of the soup.
- Add the prawn 'tails' and baby spinach leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes, until prawns change colour and are cooked. Taste and adjust if necessary
- Ladel into bowls, top with fresh herbs and squeeze lime juice over just before serving.
p.s. the above photos of soup in that tiny little bowl are styled to look pretty. The actual bowl size I ate from was more realistic….